This summer I posted about the play corner in our small apartment. Well now that we've moved there is room for a dedicated play space. It's been fun putting it together and then watching it transform as the months go by. I have meant to post pictures of Ella's new play place for a while, or at least a dedicated post. Here are pictures of its transformation over the past few months. It's hard to not want to go all out and have it be "perfect" right away. But we'll add and take away bit by bit as seasons and interests change. I actually think I will make it more seasonal - having less available to play with to encourage outdoor play as much as possible, and bringing more out when the weather is icky. I thought it would be a good discipline.
Reading corner
Peg board nailed to the back of the shelf (craigslist)
That is a medicine cabinet (goodwill) on top of an activity cube (consignment)
Arts and crafts on the front side of the book nook (Pencils, markers, crayons, crafty scissors, beaded necklaces, buttons, bottle caps, pom poms and pasta shells)
By Christmas we had acquired a darling table and chair set (craigslist). I hope to find two more matching barrel chairs. The bookcase to the left drives me nuts but its organization will come in time.
I made a new light box with lights inside a rubbermaid tub and tracing paper taped on the lid to diffuse the light. Ella likes to sit on it and this one doesn't tip over easily. This is usually on the floor in front of the big bookcase.
What this side looked like shortly after moving in (the far wall was messy for so long)
This box has been a resident for a month now. I'm about ready for it to go. But other children who visit tend to love it, especially.
Found this steal of a deal display-style bookcase with shelves on the back (craigslist). Perfect space saver!
Shortly after finding the shelf, I learned about a method called Godly Play (which is not as cheesy as it sounds). It takes the Montessori method (which was developed by a devout Catholic) and applies it to faith learning - telling Bible stories through play. I also turned it into a more sacred space, with a place to kneel, pray, read Bible stories as well as play. Every time I pass it I am reminded to pray. Often my prayer is simple: God, thank you for our play. Ella does like to come here for short prayers and to flip through Bible pictures :)
Bird's eye view of the book nook so far.
Items for light play (mosaic shapes, letters, marbles, decorative stones, and color spoons) are now on the shelf above Ella's head. In the baskets are blocks and balls.
Play room as of now!
I made the cushion yesterday, which turned out much better than I anticipated. It's SO cozy. All on piece with foam padding on the bottom and the side pillow stuffed with...stuffing? The sideboards there get really cold, so I wanted something to cover then for warmth and comfort. The baskets have blankets and stuffed animals.
Having the books like this has really increased Ella's interest dramatically. They are easy for her to pull out and put back.
Some electric candles were added to the shelf (Ikea). The verse says "From the mouths of children and infants You have ordained praise ~Psalm 8:2" - it will be painted white eventually.
A view during daytime. Wooden people figures, animals, blocks and other items in baskets for Bible story telling. Church calendar wheel from Liturgy Training Publications
The box - behind it is the music and toys area
I moved the drawing supplies to the window sill. I love the color spoons in the window
The little glass jars were wedding favors from a friend's wedding. All other jars are recycled from foodstuffs
Ell enjoying her space. She LOVES the new pillow
The shelf now has nature things, crafts, and paper
Music and various toys. I love this shelf (Ikea) so much. It's shallow, but long and short - perfect for simply organizing toys. Having each toy in a specific place keeps things much more organized; it is easier for Ella to remember where things go and to put them away when she's done. Already she will put things back of her own volition. On the top is a stereo with cassettes, CDs, books with audio, and Signing Time DVDs. The left side is all musical instruments. The right side is stacking and sorting toys. The basket has a real flute (my old broken one) and violin (found in the trash when we moved in). Eventually I want them accessible, along with a guitar and a piano (either full or child's sized). I love when Ella walks by and the sits down to shake a maraca. She loves dancing to music here.
This doesn't get used often...sometimes I set up an 'invite to play", but I'm not consistent about it.
That's all for now!!
Feb 2013 Playroom updates:
We updated the playroom! I've been wanting to do this for months. Instead of the picture wall, it seemed like it'd be fun to have a magnet wall that included magnetized family pictures. So we found a cheapo frame at Goodwill, got some sheet metal from Lowe's (a kind worker used tin cutters to get it to size for me - SO nice!) and hung it in place!
Ugly picture in frame and sheet metal (steel because aluminum is NOT magnetic!)
Ella LOVED putting the pictures up. Having them as magnets is nice, too, because I have more space to add friends that she knows and...well...more babies and aunts and uncles since our family is rapidly growing. It's a little on the tall side for Ella, but she'll grow into it.
Magnetic rocks from Nonna and Pawpaw and gems with magnets added to the back.
I plan on getting a large piece of felt and glueing magnets on it, too, to have a removable felt board. 2-in-1!
The entire playroom arrangement was changed because we got tired of constantly stepping on toys at the bottom of the stairs. The new arrangement feels like it gives everything its own little space. The art space needs it's own light source as it gets quite dark in the evenings.
Music and light box area
Art area
Purple rug for Lent
General "toys" area - blocks, puzzles, kitchen toys, and stuffed animals. What toys are out changes every few weeks
Wooden animals, people pegs, and dress up/doll accessories




8 comments:
Ella is frekin' rocking out with all her cool stuff! This place is so neat for her and such a perfect space for her to learn and build on everything a child needs to be building on - all those fine motor skills and challenging her brain and the creativity. So smart Michelle! Now if only every mom can be like you giving your child all those opportunities to learn!
Dawww....thanks :)
Thanks for this! It looks amazing! I just discovered "Godly Play" too. I don't have the books so I don't know if I'm doing it their "right way" but I so love the idea of teaching this through play. Currently we have a St. Patrick's "sensory bin" set up for this. With a St. Patrick peg doll, some split peas, shamrocks and to add when my husband gets home as it was his idea, some gummy "snakes" to banish. ;)
Thanks Andrea! I don't know much about Godly Play either. Love the sensory bin idea. I might steal it :)
Be my guest! I've been looking to find good children's books on St. Patrick too (found Tomie de Paola), not the "look at this funny leprechaun" type book, but life of the saint book. Not that anything is wrong with those, but it wasn't what I was looking for. The books I've found sit next to the bin. I was going to add a boat and some blue fabric so he/we could act the story out a bit better. Where did you hear about Godly play? Wondering if there is another resource out there form to read.
I'm glad I found someone else to follow and help me learn and come up with ideas to teach our faith. :) If you'd rather chat via email and it doesn't come through this for you let me know. I'd love to pick your brain (oh and p.s. I found you through your post on Play at Home Mom's facebook page about the environment).
Yes, Andrea! I'd love to chat more. Send me an email at michelle (dot) cohoon (at) gmail (dot) com. I found out about Godly Play (just recently) through Watkins Every Flavor Bean blog (it's in my blog list to the left there) and there's a link to their blog post on Godly Play in this Environment post up above. I clicked on her resources and kept clicking. YOu know how the internet is. :) I'm fairly new to the Liturgy and this year am starting to learn the church calendar and how to incorporate it into our daily lives. SO MUCH TO LEARN!!! Which is what sent me on a quest on how to incorporate it with my child, especially.
I made a St. Patty sensory bin today. I colored a wooden peg after the Icons of him, used white beanie filler things (like in beanie babies) as a base with green and white gemstones and Saint Patrick spelled in green and yellow letters. I wanted some snakes but couldn't find any. I need to read up on his story. Great idea about the books! The only Saint book I have is St. Brigid's Cloak. That one is special because my hubby and I got it in Ireland on our honeymoon at an abbey near St. Brigid's Cathedral. :) I hope to gain more st. books here and there.
So beautiful and inspiring! What an inviting little space for your Ella!
Emailed you a bit ago, just wanted to make sure you got it :)
Post a Comment